I decided it was time to do something a little different for this version of Hardcore Review Time. For my reviews, I like to vape a line of juice for a prolonged period of time so that I can get a sense of how much I truly enjoy a juice. This helps me mitigate buyer’s remorse (which happens to me quite a bit).
For this review, I wanted to try my first attempt with pod systems.
As you may know, pod systems have been all the rage lately: with brands like Juul grabbing massive market share in the US. And in the past year, we’ve seen countless pod alternatives competing with them with various designs and offerings.
STLTH Vape is one of the newest challengers in the pod space – but it has a unique distinction: it’s launched by a Canadian company! And being Vape Deals CANADA – you know we had to get our hands on a unit!
Of course, I didn’t know what I was getting into prior to doing the review (I’ve never tried a pod system before) – and that’s exactly how I like it.
For my review, I used the STLTH Vape exclusively and did not at any point use any other vape products. The goal was to last two weeks or to finish the 10 pods – whichever came first. I made it 13 days before I ran out of juice.
Let’s get the basics out of the way. The STLTH unit is simple, sleek, and reminds me of an Apple device (which says a lot). STLTH is a “fully-closed system and magnetic ceramic coil pod” – which is another way to say the pods are not refillable. It sports a 350 mAh battery and come with 2 mL pods.
The unit has an LED that indicates when you’re using it (but does not signal battery power) and a Micro-USB charger port which makes it super convenient.
Overall, the specs may seem paltry especially when compared to the sub-ohm mods that many of us normally run; however, I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of the device.
Package Contents (starter kit)
- 1 x Device (black)
- 1 x Charging Cable
- 1 x 2 mL POD with 35MG APPLE CRISP FLAVOUR
- 1 x Instruction Manual and Warranty Registration Card
It’s relatively bare bones – but that’s kind of the point of these systems. They’re ultra cheap ($25 Canadian and comes with Free Shipping) so you can’t exactly expect it to come with a too many frills.
Package Contents (pod packs)
- Each pack contains 3 pod cartridges
- Choice of 3.5% or 5.0% (35mg/mL or 50mg/mL) Nicotine strength
- Choice of Apple Crisp, Tundra Berry, or Tobacco Blend (at time of review – with new flavors coming soon
At $15 a pod pack – this is where the company makes up for the cost of the device.
My daily device of choice is typically along the range of a Uwell Crown with a Sigelei 213 vaping between 50 to 70 watts (I have 6 units that are exactly the same – yeah I love this setup; and several other similar setups).
Thus, switching to the pod system was a bit of a system shock for me.
I have my device with me pretty much every waking hour and am always vaping at home or in the car.
The major difference I found with the pod system is that I typically did not need to vape it as often due to the high nicotine content. But that took some getting used to. And in the first couple of days, I was dealing with an annoying headache likely due to vaping too much. This isn’t so much a flaw of the system but more that it took me time to adjust.
What was amazing
- The convenience. I’ve gotten so used to carrying a large mod in my suit jacket that I’ve completely forgotten how annoying it is to have such a large electronic device in mypocket (that sometimes leaks). The STLTH Vape was amazing for the convenience. I actually carried it in INNER pocket in my jacket. I can honestly say that I’ve never done that before with any of my mods.
- The simplicity. All I ever thought about was if I had enough juice (both in the pod, and power) – that’s it. It was refreshing to not worry about juice spilling all over my pockets, or if I forgot to lock the device, or if it was going to explode in my pants.
- The cost of the device. It’s $25 – with free shipping. I regularly by juices that are more expensive than that.
What could be improved
- The flavors. The downside to a closed system is that we only have a select few flavors to choose from. If you’re like me, I have flavor A.D.D. and I like to rotate them more often than I change my boxers (it’s often enough!).
- Small imperfections. I couldn’t really tell how often the device was running out of power as the LED didn’t indicate power level – only when it was plugged in. There was also some spitback on the pods when the device was running low on power.
- The cost of the pods. Being a non-refillable system, the gotcha in the STLTH system is the cost to vape on a regular basis – especially for heavy vapers like me.
TOBACCO BLEND – Medium blend tobacco flavor
Review: It’s been years since I quit smoking – and I’ve long lost the urge for the tobacco flavor. That said, this tobacco flavor reminded me of smoking – and was pretty good. It was a little TOO harsh for me as I was an ultra-light menthol smoker, but it certainly hit the spot. I believe this is a great alternative for someone who is looking to quit smoking and will ultimately give them a similar sensation to smoking without the stank and that nasty after-smoke feeling. I’d highly recommend this for long-time smokers who want a simple, low-barrier device to transition into vaping.
My Rating: 7/10 – it’s good enough, but tobacco flavors just aren’t for me.
TUNDRA BERRY – Refreshing menthol with a hint of mixed berries
Review: This was a standout for me and I finished all three pods within 3 days. It was just the right amount of menthol with a hint of berry. As someone who thoroughly enjoys menthol and fruit flavors, this was pretty damned good. It’s certainly nowhere as complex as some of the other juices on the market, but it was a simple, refreshing flavor that I thoroughly enjoyed. Ideal for menthol smokers who are looking to quit.
My Rating: 8.5/10 – a simple, refreshing, all-day-vape for menthol lovers like me.
CRISP APPLE – Crispy red apple flavour with a tart finish
Review: This was an interesting experience for me. The Crisp Apple flavor that came with the device was AMAZING. I was thoroughly impressed with it and enjoyed it the most. It was just the right amount of apple without being too sweet and I quickly devoured the accompanied pod. Then, when I tried the blister pack of pods – I thought the pods were expired because they tasted different. Turns out, the company switched recipes on the Apple Crisp flavor 🙁 And regrettably, I’m not a big fan of the new recipe. The flavor is good enough so that it would satisfy my nicotine cravings, but it’s not something that I would buy more of. It almost tastes like tobacco flavor, which is not how I like them apples.
My Rating: 7/10 – It’s good enough to satisfy my vape/nicotine craving, but it’s not an all-day-vape for me. Here’s to hoping they get back to their original recipe.
Overall, the STLTH Vape really opened up my eyes to the pod systems and I’m VERY interested in trying out other models and systems out there; particularly refillable / open systems where I can insert my favorite juice. The STLTH Vape was certainly a great experience. I LOVE that I can carry it with me anywhere. The buy-in for the system is also really cheap at $25 so there’s really no reason NOT to try it.
Ultimately, I look forward to trying new flavors that they release in the future and will likely use it as my travel / stealth vaping device (yeah, had to get that in).
Final Verdict: 7.5/10
I’d recommend this device for anyone who is quitting smoking or who is looking for a simple, low-cost device for travel.