Electronic Cigarettes (or E-cigarettes or e-cigs) or what others know as Vape has rapidly increased its popularity all over the world as a means to end or at least replace smoking in general. We all know that smoking, especially if long-term, can cause fatal diseases or even death not just to one’s self but to other people as well. Although smoking is a habit that seems very hard to break, it is not impossible.
So here is where Vaping steps in. But what is it really?
What is a Vape?
Also called as E-cigarettes, Mods, Pods, Vaporizer, and others. It is an electronic device, containing a liquid that is vaporized and inhaled, that mimics the experience of smoking. It is composed of basic parts like a mouthpiece, main console, cartridge (holds the liquid juice), atomizer/heating element, switch, solution, and battery. Introduced and popularized in 2000s, the vaping community is still growing – and in the recent years – rapidl.
How do Vapes work?
While a traditional cigarette or tobacco uses fire for it to burn and release smoke that contains nicotine, an e-cigarette doesn’t use this kind of combustion process. Instead, it heats up a special liquid or e-liquid and converts the liquid into a vapor in which the user inhales. E-cigarette users inhale the way they would with a regular cigarette thus activating the atomizer to heat the liquid in the cartridge and convert the liquid to a vapor that looks much like a cloud of smoke.
As we mentioned above, one of the components of e-cigarettes is the solution also known as e-juice or e-liquid which technically contains the flavoring and makes vaping much more interesting compared to smoking. These juices usually contain vegetable oil and propylene glycol, an additive which the Canadian Government, FDA, and other government food agencies have approved for use in food. In these vaping substances, nicotine levels vary widely so it is best to see what is more suitable for your preference.
Some reminders on Vaping
Not every vape is the same so it would be best to observe safety precautions not just to ensure your protection but of others as well. Just like any device, we should make sure to equip ourselves with enough knowledge and follow basic procedures to maximize its use.
- Make sure to be very familiar with your chosen type of Vape and the operating procedures for it. Most of the safety tips surround battery use. You may not be aware of it but faulty batteries may lead to a very dangerous situation like fire or explosion. Read articles, forums, and reviews before jumping into do-it-yourself builds.
- Current commercial e-cigarettes hold varying standards and quality of their products, we need to be vigilant and discontinue use of products when we encounter weird glitches. Make sure to also choose carefully on where and what to buy when choosing a vaping gear, accidentally choosing a low-quality device might impose a potential safety risk.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets. Not everyone knows and understands how a vaporizer works and what a bottle of e-liquid contains. Mishandling would be highly dangerous and ingestion is downright poisonous.
- Know that as much as vaping is beneficial compared to smoking. It still contains a certain level of nicotine which is a serious and addictive drug which can place your health at a level of risk.
- As much as we want to enjoy the vaping lifestyle, certain etiquettes should be observed and we have to be respectful that there are such places where smoking or vaping is prohibited. It starts within ourselves to keep vaping a safe and responsible lifestyle.
Giving the same sensation as what a regular cigarette would deliver with fewer health risks makes e-cigarettes a much better choice than smoking. At this time, there is still no proven long-term implications to vaping but studies have shown that e-cigarettes have been a great tool for smokers to lessen or quit smoking. That said, not smoking and not vaping is still the healthiest choice!
Let’s just keep an open mind about vaping – and with time, it will be further studied and enhanced by experts in order to create much better experiences.
Want to quit smoking? Don’t know where to start? Reach out and we’ll be happy to help!