We all know that there are health risks when it comes to smoking yet it is still a hard habit to break because tobacco cigarettes contain nicotine, which is highly addictive. Smoking, in general, is perceived by most people worldwide negatively. Thus, vaping has somehow been affected by this scare. Although some pundits thought that vaping was more of a marketing ploy by the Big Tobacco Companies, the truth is, the first e-cigarette was first invented in the 1900s, further developed and released during the 2000s. The intent of the people behind this e-cigarette invention was to lessen smokers or in the best case scenario, was to put an end to it.
That’s why even though both share the same process of inhalation and exhalation, they are entirely different. So what is the difference between vaping and smoking?
- Uses fire for it to burn and thus create smoke, also known as the process of combustion. When combustion occurs, new chemicals form due to oxidation.
- Produces waste such as ashes and cigarette butts during and after use.
- Some chemicals found in cigarettes are Formaldehyde, Ammonia, Methanol, Cyanide, Carbon Monoxide, Acetone, Tar and others.
- Due to toxins, odor lingers in skin, hair, clothes and others.
- Contains high level of nicotine which makes smoking tobacco cigarettes addictive.
- A pack of cigarette is expensive and since it is disposable, turns out that smokers tend to spend more for it, especially when you consider the health-related cost.
- Produces Tar which can be damaging to the lungs and contributes to the rotting of teeth.
- No combustion process involved. Created when heat reaches a certain temperature and thus create vapor. Vapor maintains the same compound as the substance that created it.
- Produces a cloud of vapor which dissipates during use. Most vaping devices are not thrown away after each use.
- Aside from nicotine, all other substances with e-liquids are products we consume daily.
- No lingering odors. While certain smells produced could be pleasant depending on the e-liquid.
- The level of nicotine may be variable (and some could even be higher than a cigarette). That said, you can opt for an e-liquid that contains no nicotine.
- Though purchasing a vape device has a higher initial cost, if is very possible to vape on a budget. Vaping can be cheaper and more cost efficient that smoking.
- No tar component found in e-liquids
Many have been associating vaping with smoking since vaping is still relatively new and there are still lots of people who lack knowledge and understanding with regard to this. Further, the two share many similarities as noted above – but there are also significant differences.
There are many aspects to be considered when differentiating smoking and vaping. We hope that we have given you a clearer picture that smoking is very far from vaping. So let us do our part in sharing these kinds of information to others and keep an open mind that vaping can be an alternative to smoking and be an effective smoking cessation aid.