Even when you’ve sworn off purchasing new vape gear because you’ve already got enough, you still keep searching for the latest and greatest stuff out there. Sometimes, it’s all hype. Sometimes you’ll get lucky and stumble across a gem. One the best RTA’s to ever come out of China – price-point and performance make the OFRF Gear a nice purchase. Let’s look at the GEAR RTA:
Their goals with the Gear RTA were to:
- produce a compact RTA that could be used on smaller, single battery mods but still deliver a flavor intensity usually only found in RDA’s used with bigger mods.
- deliver an easy wicking, easy build, single coil RTA perfect for both those new to rebuildables and advanced users alike.
OFRF Gear 24mm RTA Features:
- 24mm Diameter
- 24.6mm Tall
- 2.3ml Standard Tank Capacity
- 3.5ml Bubble Glass Tank Capacity Two Large Fill Ports
- High Capacity Tank Reservoir
- Top Mounted Quad Terminal Build Deck Single Coil Build Deck
- Compatible with Clockwise and Counterclockwise Wound Coils
- Scratch Resistant Build Deck
- Dual Wicking Ports
- Double O-Ring Secured
- German PEEK Insulator
- Dual Bottom Adjustable Airflow Focus on Flavor
- Minimizes Leaking
- Fully Closable
- Two Drip Tip Options, 510 Wide Bore Black Frosted PC Drip Tip
- 510 Regular Bore PCM Drip Tip
- Gold Plated 510 Connection
- 304 Stainless Steel Construction
*Disclosure: None – atty was purchased for review purposes.
The OFRF Gear is a single coil 24mm RTA. The GEAR comes in a nice retail package. The GEAR comes hard boxed complete with an authenticity code. The main pieces are held with a foam insert and extras like spare parts, coils and cotton are hidden underneath.
This top-fill and bottom airflow RTA is available in 6 colors – black (with red highlight), gunmetal, SS, gold, blue and rainbow. You’ll either love or hate the unique stubby silhouette but that may be primarily due to the shape of the drip tip. The RTA itself is 2.3mL capacity. There is also a 3.5mL bubble tank included – there have been both polycarbonate and glass versions floating around – I believe, based on the color choice. Because of the compact height, there’s a very short conical chimney so the distance from coil to mouth is a short as possible to aid in flavor rendition.
Fit and Finish:
The GEAR fits together very well. The whole atty fits together well and the threading was very smooth – both for the atty and the fill port cap. No rough edges were present and the machining was very well done. The deck features 4 large flat screws and was designed so that you could use clockwise or counterclockwise wrapped coils. The GEAR has a 24k gold plated 510 and also uses PEEK as the insulator.
The GEAR is very easy to build. Large post size and screws securely hold more complex wire builds with ease. The screw-off top fill port has two large slots that make filling a very easy process. Wicking was easy – wick tails down into the channels – loose and not overly stuffed. I haven’t experienced any leaks from any part of the GEAR so far. The kit came complete with pre-wrapped coils and cotton so it was ready to go right away. Also, being single coil – it’s easy to pair with a single battery or li-po battery mod and still have decent battery life – that’s why you see it paired so often with the Aegis Mini – it makes for a compact little set-up.
The short chimney, compact chamber and general design make the GEAR worthwhile. The draw is very smooth and flavor rendition is excellent! Rich flavor, dense vapor – yet with the single coil, it’s not as hot as you would expect. Bottom airflow lets you dial right down to a restricted MTL hit.
Looks good, vapes great. Probably just a step below dripper vape quality – the OFRF GEAR was a surprisingly good purchase. Any doubts about purchasing an atty from a virtually unknown company were quickly erased with usage. Would have gotten a better score with a 4 or 4.5mL bubble – but that’s just me nit-picking.
I can’t wait to see what OFRF offers up next.
OFRF Gear 24mm RTA Package Contents:
- 1x OFRF Gear RTA
- 1x 510 Wide Bore Black Frosted PC Drip Tip
- 1x 510 Regular Bore PCM Drip Tip
- 1x Bubble Tank Section – could be polycarbonate or glass
- 1x Spare Parts Pack including o-rings, Ni coils and Japanese Cotton
- 1x Instruction Manual